The Westall Encounter: UFO Witnessed by Over 200 People

On April 6th 1966 over 200 people in Melbourne, Australia witnessed a UFO. Students and teachers from two schools in the suburb of  Westall saw a low-flying silver-grey UFO moving at low altitude over an empty field and landing behind a nearby pine plantation. Witnesses described the unknown craft as a cup turned upside down on a saucer. Both schools were located near the local airport (Moorabbin Airport) which meant that witnesses were accustomed to identifying airplanes. What they saw that day was unlike anything they had ever seen before.

The object was in view for up to 20 minutes, and many saw it descend. Most agree it landed behind pine trees at the Grange Reserve. Many of the children jumped over the school fences and ran across the fields to the reserve to investigate. By the time most chasing the UFO reached the site the object was gone. Some claim to have seen the UFO on the ground. Among them some of the children and local people in the vicinity of the site. One local claims to have approached two discs on the ground while some children nearby were watching him. He described them as metallic and smooth; as if they had been made from a mold.

Apparently a few moments after landing, the UFO became aware of a number of airplanes approaching the location and took-off again at a tremendous speed. The only traces left were some flattened yellow grass (probably burnt). 

Many reported that the police and military inspected the site. Others mentioned that the site was burnt to hide the evidence. Also authorities attempted to cover up the story and silence the witnesses. In one case the police arrived at the school to confiscate a the film and camera belonging to a teacher who had taken pictures of the object. The press and TV (Dandenong Journal and channel 9) reached the school grounds. Some children spoke to the journalists but the police demanded for children to go into the school and for the press to leave. The Dandenong Journal, for which the story was front-page news for two weeks in a row, reported that “students and staff had been instructed to ‘talk to no-one’ about the incident”. Students could not make sense of what they saw. From fear of ridicule and punishment many of the children did not speak about what they witnessed. The school´s management wanted to silence the kids. One of the children that talked to press and appeared on newspapers was given detention 

The Westall incident is probably the biggest mass UFO sighting in Australia. The lack of preconceptions from the children witnesses, the number of total witnesses and the multiple locations from where testimonies came add to the incident’s credibility. It is highly unlikely that a diverse and large group of witnesses had a mass hallucination or mistakenly identified a conventional aircraft as a flying saucer.

Add Comment